Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Off the record

From the transcript of the Culture Select Committee interview with BBC Chair Richard Sharp, discussing Mr Sharp's meeting with Cabinet Secretary Simon Case in Downing Street

Chair: There were not minutes taken at that meeting. Does that mean it was just you and him in the room?

Richard Sharp: I think he took notes. He told me he took some notes. For example, he noted, and he reminded me, that I had raised with him specifically and proactively the fact that I was being considered for the BBC chairmanship. I raised that with him at that meeting......

[Later] John Nicolson: Okay. So although you discussed the loan with Mr Blyth, Boris Johnson’s cousin, in September 2020, you did not actually go to see the Cabinet Secretary until December—so quite a long time afterwards. At that discussion with the Cabinet Secretary, did anyone else attend? Were any minutes taken?

Richard Sharp: This comes back to answering one of your earlier questions. At that meeting, I raised with the Cabinet Secretary that I was in the application process for the BBC chairmanship, and therefore at that
time we discussed precisely that to avoid a conflict or the appearance of conflict, I should have nothing further to do with it. At that meeting, there were two people: I was there, and Mr Case was there.

John Nicolson: So nobody was taking notes.
Richard Sharp: Mr Case, I believe, was taking notes

But this, from Sunday Times journalist Gabriel Pogrund suggests either that Mr Sharp's memory of note-taking is wrong, or the Cabinet Secretary misunderstands Freedom of Information legislation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......