Sunday, June 10, 2018

Additionally

One I missed: Naomi Climer was made a CBE for services to engineering. Climer (Gainsborough High School and Imperial College London) joined the BBC in 1987 as an engineer. She worked in BBC Broadcasting House and BBC World Service at Bush House before becoming Controller of Technology at BBC News. From 1998 to 2000, she was also a Director of the Parliamentary Broadcasting Unit.

She went on to become first female president of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, amongst a raft of top jobs here and in the USA. Her degree was in chemistry and management science, and her entry to the BBC was part of 'affirmative action': “I wanted to make my own way. I didn’t want to be seen as a token woman, and all of those things, but the fact is that I wouldn’t have got into BBC engineering if I hadn’t been a woman. They went looking for graduates of technical subjects that weren’t necessarily engineering.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......