Thursday, March 4, 2010

Talent spotter

I've blogged before about Alastair Osborne, one of the BBC editors on the interview panel that gave me a job as a news trainee back in 1973. And I've mentioned a great party held at Broadcasting House for friends and family to celebrate his life. One person missing from the party was CNN's Christiane Amanpour, whose message came too late to read out - but she says it's ok to pass it on.

In the summer of 1980, home from university in the USA and on holiday in London, Alastair walked into my life…or rather I barged into his ! Somehow I had managed to squeeze my toe into the door at the BBC and landed on his watch at Radio 4 The World Tonight.

On my first day he stunned me by saying he was going to pay me for the work I did ! I think about £100 a week, which was a fortune for me. It was especially welcome since I was (gladly) doing it for love as I assumed interns were not paid.

Then, when I asked him whether he was absolutely sure he wanted to pay me, he earned my undying gratitude, affection and admiration by uttering the following words: “look Christiane, it’s just a summer internship, if you’re no good when it’s over we never have to see you again. And if you are any good, I can always take the credit.” !!

I loved him for that, and I can safely say I owe it all to him !

It actually makes me quite emotional as I write this brief note, remembering all the experience and opportunities that internship gave me: during the Brixton riots I was sent out to do my first vox pops. In the studio I worked for brilliant editors, producers, presenters …and fellow interns (The chess-mad Dominic Lawson for instance!)

Then one day as my time on the programme was coming to an end, the editor in charge let me be control-room producer for the night: I was beside myself with excitement and anxiety. Charles Wheeler was the presenter. I managed not to completely mess things up and he remained my friend, my example and my fellow traveler throughout his illustrious life.

Most importantly, that night, my proud parents and siblings sat around the radio on the kitchen table and heard my name being credited on the BBC !! It was the first time….it was the best time!

Thank you for everything Alastair, for giving me my first break…I am so glad I met you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......