Monday, March 1, 2010

Now I've listened....

Talk about dancing on pin heads: Shadow Culture Minister Ed Vaizey now loves 6Music; suspects the BBC will keep it going; and anyway, it's none of his business....

The turnaround is in a Sunday email response to blogger Chris Cooke, who's published his own open letter and the full Vaizey "rationale" - here's some of it..

"Anyway, several things have happened since I spoke out. I am now an avid listener to 6 Music. I suspect that 6 Music has doubled its audience. I strongly suspect 6 Music will be saved.

I should emphasise that any decision on 6 Music is firmly that of the BBC and the BBC Trust. Also one quote of mine that was not picked up is that this is the beginning of the debate - there is no reason to assume that what is proposed is what will happen.

So to sum up - I had no strong views on 6 Music on Friday, I now know it is brilliant with a passionate and articulate fan base. Its future is not down to me. And I remain firmly committed to the BBC looking carefully at how its services affect its commercial competitors"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......