Thursday, September 24, 2026

Matt and Alex

I'd rather hoped Matt Brittin's sporting instincts might override those of BBC Sport boss Alex Kay-Jelski. Sidebars on whatever strategy was behind the latest round of cuts are alarming: The Times' Martyn Ziegler quotes a source saying the department "will focus on "most-read" stories on website using audience data." Another source tells The Telegraph "They are obsessed with numbers, social media impressions, short clips and videos for reels". 

I think Matt Brittin has already had an impact on the dinosaurs driving the trails on BBC1. Recently I've seen trails for "Global Eye"  and "Finding Britain's Slave Traders" just before the Six O'Clock News, where normally there'd be relentless promos for Strictly and Blue Lights. Mr Brittin 'gets' the range of the BBC. I also think Mr Brittin understands that the currency used to demonstrate alleged social media success is as firmly based as bitcoin. And he definitely knows that there has to be a public service rationale for aiming effort and content at Tik-tok, Instagram, Facebook and others beyond 'metric fixation'. 

The question is; has he told Alex ?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......