Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Guns

Meanwhile. 

Amol Rajan has a playlist on BBC Sounds of his 'University Anthems'. 

Included is 'Put it on' from 1995, by Big L, real name Lamont Coleman. In 1999, Lamont was shot nine times in the face and chest on West 139th Street, near Lenox, East Harlem and died from from his injuries. A sample of the lyrics that appealed to Amol in his heady years at Downing College, Cambridge:

I got the wild style, always been a foul child
My guns go "Boom, boom" and yo' guns go "pow pow"
I'm known to have a hottie open
I keep the shotty smokin'
Front, and get half the bones in your body broken
And when it comes to gettin' nookie, I'm not a rookie
I got girls that make that chick Toni Braxton look like Whoopi
I run with sturdy cliques
I'm never hittin' dirty chicks
Got 35 bodies, buddy, don't make it 36

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......