Friday, October 19, 2018

Quality or quantity ?

Hello again. It's the BBC's critical friend here.

David Dinsmore, COO of News UK, has had another pop at the BBC's online empire. “The BBC has become Britain’s largest publisher and competes directly with all of the news publishing industry. They are chasing online traffic by publishing news content which bears no resemblance to the BBC’s charter commitments, and they are challenging subscription websites by offering commentary, analysis and long-form journalism. By offering all of this for free, they are reducing the leverage of commercial publishers to challenge the platforms to offer a fair value for our content.”

“I am not criticising the BBC for the provision of high-quality, impartial news online. That is its remit and the UK should be proud. I am challenging whether it should be for BBC News online to tell me if I should take up tai chi or Zumba and whether I may need to take a break from Netflix."

Today, from the front page of BBC News online in the UK.

Bralet boom and why the underwire is under fire.

"I went through the menopause at 11"

"I travelled 4,000 miles to find my dad"

"It's the Earth's third
 biggest fruit"

1 comment:

  1. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-betrays-charter-by-chasing-clickbait-qg6nvm5s3

    ReplyDelete

Other people who read this.......