Thursday, March 17, 2016

Literally on fire ?

Two versions of what might have been the same encounter between BBC News hunk Huw Edwards and bass baritone from Bangor, Bryn Terfel...

This first, from the Telegraph in 2006:

His Wagner career got off to a sensational start 18 months ago when he sang Wotan in Covent Garden's new production of the Ring cycle. 

"The first person I saw backstage when I came off was the newsreader Huw Edwards and everything poured out – tears of sadness, tears of joy. 

"The poor man had a 6ft 3in weeping Welshman to contend with. He just said to me, 'You've climbed your Everest', and that's what it felt like."

And the second from the Mail On Sunday this last weekend.

"Huw Edwards saved my life when I caught on fire on stage during a performance of Ride Of The Valkyries. I had to run off the stage and I was crying but Huw grabbed me and helped me put it out. It was the Welsh connection that saved me. "


Welsh opera star Bryn Terfel tells me at the Grange Park Opera launch at Fortnum & Mason that the BBC newsreader is his hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other people who read this.......